httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Strange problem with Options +Indexes
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:58:33 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 8/22/05, Stuart Gall <stuart@otenet.gr> wrote:
>
>>>I haven't tested this myself, but my guess is that mod_autoindex
>>>(which generates the directory listings) is doing a file-level
>>>sub-request on each entry in the directory to see if it is accessible.
>>> For some reason this sub-request is not processing the <Location>
>>>sections, only the <Directory> sections.
>>
>>Makes sense.
>>A bug then, or perhaps a security feature?
>
> I think its a bug, but I'm not sure.

Well, it is a security feature to subrequest each of the files.  Because
this is using a very optimized file subdir lookup, the full <Location>
tree might not be parsed.

It sounds like it could be a bug; but at the same time, you've hit on an
edge case which should be a reminder to never mix <Location >'s when you
really mean to call out either <Files > or <Directory >'s.

Bill