httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Hicks <johnl...@gulfbridge.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts & public_html Folder
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:19:13 GMT
David Blomstrom wrote:
> This is how most of my virtual hosts are set up:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName geoworld
> ServerAlias geoworld *.geoworld
> DocumentRoot c:\sites\geoworld
> </VirtualHost>
>
> However, I read somewhere that it's better to put your
> sites inside a folder named public_html, then set up
> your virtual host like this:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName geozoo
> ServerAlias geozoo *.geozoo
> DocumentRoot c:\sites\geozoo\public_html
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Can anyone tell me if that's better and why? I've set
> a couple sites up like that, and everything seems to
> work OK, but I don't want to go to the trouble of
> changing all my sites if there's no real advantage.

The second alternative is probably better for most installations.

Remember that any file that lies under the document root is potentially
visible to all the world. Any files that will never be served via Apache
should not be under the document root. Having that extra layer of
directories gives you more flexibility in organizing and controlling
your files.

Of course there's no reason why the document root needs to be called
'public_html' in particular.