httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Carville <step...@totalflood.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] JSP pages and Apache 2
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:56:12 GMT
John Hicks wrote:
> Stephen Carville wrote:
>
>> During a migration from Apache 1 to Apache 2 I found a problem with
>> DirectoryIndex in VirtualHosts
>>
>> I have several Virtual Hosts defined with a DirectoryIndex:
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>     ServerName      www.nationwide-totalflood.com
>>     DocumentRoot    /var/jakarta/dpsi-corp/ROOT
>>     DirectoryIndex  HomePage.jsp index.html
>>     JkMount         /*.jsp  worker1
>>     JkMount         /servlet/* worker1
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> Problem is if I use the above DirectoyIndex, Apache always displays
>> index.html.  If I remove index.html then HomePage.jsp is passed to
>> tomcat normally.  I can work around this but it is frustrating that
>> Apache 2 should behave so differently from Apache 1.
>>

> The DirectoryIndex directive merely tells Apache what file to serve  if
> no file is requested (i.e. if a directory only is specified). In other
> words, this file is served in place of a directory listing (or index).

Both files are present but for some reason, Apache 2 will not display
HomePage.jsp if index.html is present.  Apache 1 respected the order.
The problem could be in mod_jk or tomcat since it only happens with jsp
pages.  However, one of the developers asked on the tomcat list and was
told it was an Apache issue.

> If you don't want to display index.html, the simplest solution would be
> to delete that file from the directory. (If you do want to display it,
> but not as a directory index, why not rename it to something other than

I'd like to but index.html is one of the error 404 pages and the
developers claim they don't have time to go back thru the old code and
fix all the references to it.  I can sympathize because when I tried to
get rid of HomePage.jsp (it just serves a static page depending on the
domain requested) and replace it with a more sensible VirtualHosts and
only calling tomcat when a jsp is actually needed, hundreds of pages
broke.  The original developer would only write in Java.

Franky the whole thing need to be torn down and rewritten but that is
not going to happen so I have to find work arounds.  Is hoping this one
had an easy fix.

--
Stephen Carville <stephen@totalflood.com>
Unix and Network Admin