httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stephen <stephe...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Log Error: "Directory index forbidden by rule" ????? Help!
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:05:19 GMT
Dean Maunder wrote:

>Look in your httpd.conf file for this:
>------------------------------
># DirectoryIndex: sets the file that Apache will serve if a directory
># is requested.
>#
># The index.html.var file (a type-map) is used to deliver content-
># negotiated documents.  The MultiViews Option can be used for the
># same purpose, but it is much slower.
>#
>DirectoryIndex index.html index.html.var
>It sound like you don't have Apache set to look for an index.html file

Thanks. I will check httpd.conf when I get home.

I was using the wizard that Redhat supplies (hoping to get up and
running with the web site development without spending a lot of time
getting apache going). The wizard looks like it is serving up index.html
index.htm and index.shtml, but who knows what is written to httpd.conf.

Stephen