httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kamil Srot <kamil.s...@nlogy.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Memory consumption
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 09:56:39 GMT
Dear ALL,

Annotation:
    my problem is, apache allocates so much memory, system wents out of
it and is unreachable for few minutes. I can help reporduce the problem,
please can someone help?

I found several similar issues in the bugreports but not exactly this
and they are quite old and not stalled for some reason... on top I'm not
sure if they are really the same - I don't know apache internals so good...

System:
    apache 2.0.54 (selfcompiled)
    PHP 4.4.0 (selfcompiled as module)
    Debian Woody with latest updates
    (more in-depth info available on request)

Server:
    P4 3GHz with hyperthreading active
    2GB RAM
    2GB swap
    (more in-depth info available on request)

Situation:
    I have simple PHP script serving large files for autorized users...
after some time, all memory of the server is consumed by httpd processes
- their memory allocation does corelate with size of the files served...
I tried to use several methods of output prom PHP, flushing of data,
etc... it doesn't help... it seems apache does cache output of PHP into
RAM with NO LIMIT of memory allocation... clear and relyable way how to
reproduce the problem is ro resume broken download - Range headers seems
to make apache allocate whole output into memory immediatelly

Please can somebody help?

Thank you,
--
Kamil Srot