httpd-users mailing list archives

From "oxfordmusic.net" <li...@oxfordmusic.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Which file gets served when the URL does not include a mime type extension.
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:18:44 GMT

> thanks for the reply, the reason I ask is because I'm getting a
> default behaviour that I cannot find documentation of.
>
> i.e. if I sent up a server with these two files in a directory it is
> always serving the XML file over the HTML file.
>
> e.g
>
> http://localhost/test/file
>
> will return file.xml not file.html
>
> I don't think "DirectoryIndex" is appropriate here because the file
> name does not matter, e.g. it could be fred.xml/fred.html or
> bill.xml/bill.html it still chooses the .xml file over the html file
> if both are there..

correct. "DirectoryIndex" is not approariate here. that only governs the
behaviour when http://localhost/test is requested.
what you need to read up on is Content Negotiation:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=apache+content+negotiation&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
which is how the server decides which file to server based on what the
browser has requested and your own rules.
a simple way to define it is, i believe, to place a file called file.var in
the same directory with contents something like this:

URI: file

URI: file.html

i am by no means an expert but this should at least give you something to
get started on.

andy