httpd-users mailing list archives

From Doug Lipman <d...@storydynamics.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSI functions to compare dates?
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:31:36 GMT
Thanks so much, Joshua, for your helpful reply.

When you say,
>>First, it is not necessary to rename your files to use PHP.  PHP can
>be configured to work on any extension, not just .php

I take it that you mean I can configure PHP to parse all .html files
in a web directory, by using an .htaccess file. If I do that, will I
run the risk of a major slow-down of my site?

Doug
>On 7/25/05, Doug Lipman <doug@storydynamics.com> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I'm trying to use SSI (via XBitHack) to include a file or a bit of
>>  text in certain existing web pages only until a date I set in code.
>>  In other words, I want my pages to display certain text until an
>>  expiration date, and only until then. I know how to do this in PHP,
>>  but I don't want to have to rename my files from .html.
>
>First, it is not necessary to rename your files to use PHP.  PHP can
>be configured to work on any extension, not just .php.
>

>>  This is how I've approached the problem:
>>
>>          <!--#set var="now_date" value="$DATE_LOCAL"-->
>>          <!--#set var="exp_date" value="[something goes here that is
>>  based on the date I want the include-file to stop appearing]"-->
>>          <!--#if expr='"now_date > exp_date"' -->
>>          <!--#include virtual="../../includes/file_to_include.inc" -->
>>          <!--#endif -->
>>
>>  Here are my questions:
>>  1. In the third line above, would now_date (derived from DATE_LOCAL)
>>  be in Unix time? Or else in what form?
>
>See
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_include.html
>where you will find the "timefmt" option of the "config" element.
>
>>  2. Is there a function I can call in the second line above to encode
>>  a date into Unix time (or whatever the answer is to my first
>>  question?)
>
>Not as part of SSI.  You can generate that using standard time
>functions under c/perl/python/whatever.
>

>>  Or, is there a better way to approach this problem?
>
>mod_rewrite can do rewriting conditional on date, which is an
>alternative approach.
>
>If you are most comfortable with php, I'd simply use that.
>
>Joshua.

Doug Lipman, P.O. Box 521165, Tulsa, OK 74152
Phone: (918) 712-7336. Fax: (206) 202-7719. Toll-free: (888) 446-4738
Story DynamicsĂ…: workshops, performances, coaching

Web page: http://www.storydynamics.com
         Free monthly email newsletter, "eTips from the Storytelling Coach."
         "A wonderful, chock full of provocative ideas, storytelling
newsletter. I like it a lot!" - Loretta Greene (Tempe, AZ)

Upcoming workshops: http://www.storydynamics.com/upcoming
The Soul of Hope: http://www.SoulOfHope.net
The Hasidic Stories Home Page: http://www.HasidicStories.com