httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Goodes <d...@planetmirror.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "GET /somefilename.htm" ... Would a browser do this?
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:01:48 GMT
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 at 21:40, Chase wrote:

> Is the GET request always rooted at "/" ?

Actually, I tell a lie. The format of a request COULD be

GET http://www.somedomainname.com/somefilename.htm HTTP/1.1

although this form of request is likely only when talking to a proxy
server. Have a read of this page:

which outlines the format of the Request URI for a GET request.

> In other words, is the browser itself responsible for figuring out
> what the full path to file is, if, for instance, the user clicks on a
> relative link?

Yes - as per the spec above, the client must specify the full path
relative to the document root, so

/some/path/to/somefile.htm

so the browser must translate relative links into this absolute path.

-Dan