httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Goodes <d...@planetmirror.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Large File Support in Apache 1.3.33
Date Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:12:44 GMT
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 at 16:06, Joe Orton wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 08:10:42AM +1000, Dan Goodes wrote:
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > I remember reading somewhere that Apache 1.3.33 supposedly supports large
> > files >2G on 32-bit systems. However I'm not having much success.
>
> No, this won't work in 1.3 since 1.3 uses "long" to represent file
> sizes.  This approach should work with recent 2.0 releases, however.
> But it causes incompatibilities with third-party modules and it's not
> really supported in 2.0 either.

Yep, we've got it working (of sorts) in 2.0.54, but can't deploy some of
the third party modules we use (specifically mod_layout) on 2.0.x.

We were hoping to perhaps write our own "mod_layout" style directory
wrapper in PHP, but it doesn't support stat() on large files either.

Hopefully as more distributions generate DVD images over 2GB, the issues
with Apache and PHP will be ironed out so people like us can server files
of this size.

Thanks for your response :-)

Regards,

Dan Goodes  :  Systems Programmer  :  dang@planetmirror.com

Help support PlanetMirror - Australia's largest Internet archive
by signing up for PlanetMirror Premium : http://planetmirror.com