httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 and OpenSSL
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:48:44 GMT

This is not very convincing evidence that your server is really SSL-aware. Starting httpd
with the -Dssl flag just passes a switch into the config file, it doesn't necessarily do anything.
What other steps did you take?

- did you install or load mod_ssl?
- did you configure an SSL VH on port 443?
- do you have a certificate and key file?
- what happens when you try to connect via a browser? (nb. use https)
- what do you see in the ssl engine log?

To be clear; In Apache 2, SSL functionality is provided by the extension module mod_ssl. OpenSSL
is a library of functions which allow other applications to implement SSL connections. This
is not just for apache's mod_ssl, for example ssh also uses it.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> But whenI try to connect with ssl I run into problems. I've tried
> trouble shooting from the server command line but I don't
> understand the
> errors I'm getting, if someone can help or point me in the right spot
> that would be great!
>
> What I'm doing and the response:
>
> srvr1:~ # openssl s_client -connect 64.59.95.68:443
> CONNECTED(00000003)
> 27014:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
> protocol:s23_clnt.c:475:
>
> Thanks!

the sender's company.