httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] browser behaviour - not clear
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:36:41 GMT

If you redirect, the browser should display the new domain name so it doesn't sound like you're
really doing a redirect (301 or 302). Are you sure you are not doing a proxy request for the
redirected domain? This would be the case if you use mod_rewrite with the [P] flag.

Alternatively, the fact that the redirect domain is just an IP address may confuse the browser
- but then it's a browser issue. What happens if you:

- redirect to a real domain name
- try another browser

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> So when is there a possibility that a http request
> (which is just after a dns manipulation) is serviced
> correctly to the extent, the proper page is displayed,
> but with a flaw namely the address field remains to be
> the old one before the dns lookup?
>
> could this be a browser issue or web server issue?

> http://mail.yahoo.com

the sender's company.