httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Reverse proxing through apache where backend server users cookie authentication
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:33:19 GMT
 There is no reason that your cookie should be lost on it's way between the browser and the
backend server. You do not need to do anything in particular to have the cookie forwarded
to the application even when using rewrite rules for reverse proxying. Cookies are end-to-end
headers and are not modified by Apache unless you do something peculiar in your configuration.

If the cookies are not included in requests from the browser, chances are that the browser
does not send them. That can happen for several reasons:
1. The cookie domain does not match the domain of your site.
2. The cookie path does not match the path of the request.
3. The backend server does not set any cookies.
4. The secure cookie flag is set and the connection is not HTTPS.

You can check that by sniffing the HTTP exchanges between reverse proxy and backend server,
or by using a browser tool like HTTPWatch.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Ranjan, Rajiv [mailto:Rajiv.Ranjan@in.tesco.com]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 1:50 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Reverse proxing through apache where backend server users cookie
authentication

Hi Boyle,

	I added CO flag to my rewrite rule and checked in the browser to see if the cookies were
created. They were not.

I am sending you the conf snippet I am using. Can you please tell where am I going wrong in
it?

<VirtualHost <apache server ip:port>>
	ServerName <apache server ip>
	ProxyVia on
	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteLog logs/rajiv_rewrite.log
	RewriteLogLevel 9
	Redirect / http://<apache server ip:port >/wps/portal
	RewriteRule ^/wps(.*)
		http://<my backend server ip and port>%{REQUEST_URI}
		 /http/<apache server ip:port>/wps/portal/$1 	[P,CO=JSESSIONID:%{HTTP_COOKIE}:<backend
server domain, eg -		.dev01.tesco.org>,CO=LtpaToken:%{HTTP_COOKIE}:.dev01.tesco.org]
</VirtualHost>

_Rajiv