httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Veary, Marc, VF UK - Technology \(TS\)" <Marc.Ve...@gb.vodafone.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Proxy Server to Web Server Ratio
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:10:39 GMT

From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: 05 July 2005 08:42
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Proxy Server to Web Server Ratio

As many as there are on the internet.

Apache simply takes incoming requests from the client and re-issues them to whatever proxy
is defined in the config rules for the given request...

Reading between the lines, I suspect you are harbouring a misconception about how HTTP operates.
It is not a connection-based protocol - it is connectionless and stateless. So your question
is not like "how many phone calls can a switchboard handle?", it is more like "how many addresses
can the post office deliver to?"

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I know this is
> like asking
> 'How long is a piece of string?', but I need a rough starting point.
> Does anyone know of any stats from testing (mind craft, etc)?
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Viz

the sender's company.