httpd-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Fitzsimmons <patf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache hangs on startup without error messages - doesn't spawn children
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:50:31 GMT

> - DNS: is it working? If apache needs it to resolve IPs (eg, if you have VH tags containing
a domain instead of an IP) and it isn't working, apache can get stuck.

Yes, DNS is working fine.
> - Hanging forever is sometimes due to an errant firewall - it silently drops the packet
rather than refusing the connection, that way an attacker can't distinguish between active
security and network latency. Did you enable/adjust  the FW (ipchains?) on the server?

When I try accessing firewalled ports on my server it hangs for 7-10
seconds before saying, "Connection Timed Out."  When I access the Port
Apache is running on I get an infinite hang.  But if I kill the Apache
process, then I get instantly "Connection refused"  That tells me that
it must be getting through the firewall.  Plus, the server has been
running on this port for months and I haven't made any changes to the
firewall configuration.

> - you have: apache + server_1 = broken, apache + server_2 = works
> therefore server_1 != server_2
> So what changed on server_1? Any chance of a re-install?

That's the problem, nothing I can tell has changed.  It has been
working for the past two months, and then just yesterday I try and
access the site and it's not working.  There was nothing I changed in
between.  Since it's a VPS, I'm going to try restoring to a backed up
copy and hope it works.

> [...]
>

> > I have been running an Apache 2 server for several months on a Linux
> > Fedora Core 2 Virtual Private Server.  The server has
> > guaranteed 256 MB
> > of RAM. The Apache 2 is used for development purposes only.
> > The Apache
> > is configured with mod_python and with subversion/webdav.
> >
> > Earlier today I try to access the web site and my browser hangs.  It
> > does not say "connection refused", it does not say "connection
> > timeout," it hangs for as long as I let it, even as long as a half an
> > hour if I don't hit the stop button.
> >
> > When I do apachectl -k stop, it says, "httpd (no pid file) not
> > running."  But the process list shows that it's still running.  I kill
> > the process and the browser finally responds "connection closed."   I
> > start the Apache again, try and connect, and the browser hangs once
> > again.  I try cleaning out the PID files, rebooting the server, and
> > checking all the access and error log, but to no avail.
> >
> > Everything else on the VPS works fine.  I have a version of Apache1.3
> > running fine.  SSH, the FTP server, and MySQL are all working too.  My
> > VPS power panel shows that system resources are well below critical
> > levels.
> >
> > I get so frustrated I install a clean version of Apache, in a separate
> > folder, running on a separate port.  But the exact same problem
> > happens!  Then I try switching to a different server that I
> > run, and do
> > the exact same Apache installation - and it works!
> >
> > So for some reason Apache2 all of a sudden just stopped
> > deciding to run
> > on this one server, and I cannot do anything to get it back, not even
> > rebooting.
> >
> > On the server where Apache works, after I start it and I run ps -Af I
> > get:
> >
> > root     27642     1  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> > /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> > nobody   27643 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> > /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> > nobody   27644 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> > /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> > nobody   27645 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> > /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> > nobody   27646 27642  0 15:27 ?        00:00:00
> > /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -k start
> >
> > But on the server where it doesn't work I just get this:
> > root     20352     1  0 15:48 ?        00:00:00
> > /usr/local/apache3/bin/httpd -k start
> >
> > So I have decided that the problem is that Apache is not
> > spawning child
> > processes.
> > The browser makes a socket connection to the server, but Apache has no
> > child process to pass the connection off to, so the browser just waits
> > forever to get a response back.
> >
> > The question is, how in the world do I fix this?  Why did it
> > happen all
> > of a sudden out of nowhere?
> >
> > Halp appreciated!

> Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur
Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal
nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent
e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe
SWX.

> This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary
the sender's company.