httpd-users mailing list archives

From David Rickard <David.Rick...@techbooks.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache not catching DNS
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 17:48:46 GMT
System: Solaris SunOS 5.9
Apache: 2.0.52
Tomcat: 4.1.31
Mod JK: 1.2.6

We have a Java webapp which we are moving to a new server.
For initial testing on the new machine, we configured Apache and Tomcat to
use the machine name, i.e. the ServerName directive in httpd.conf is:
         ServerName server.company.com:80
the Host value in server.xml is:
         <Host name="server.company.com" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
and the host value in workers.properties is:
         worker.ajp13.host=192.168.12.34 [this is the base IP of the machine]

With this configuration, the webapp works perfectly: point a browser to
http://server.company.com/webapp/ and the site behaves as it should.

This morning, we disconnected the old machine from the network, added the
webapp DNS IP to /etc/hosts on the new machine, updated httpd.conf,
server.xml, and workers.properties to use the DNS, and restarted the
server; and now the site cannot be found; browsing to
http://public.site.com/webapp/ produces a standard "Cannot find server"
page; browsing to http://server.company.com/webapp/ still produces the
(static) index page, but calls to dynamic pages (servlets/JSP) fail
(presumably because Tomcat expects requests from public.site.com).  I
suspect that this may be an IP/network issue (pinging public.site.com on
the new machine times out)--but the network guys insist everything is
configured correctly (ifconfig produces the expected results on the
server); but assuming that it is an Apache issue, what is likely to be wrong?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

TechBooks/GTS
Your Single Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston,MA * New Delhi, India
Visit us on the World Wide Web
<http://www.techbooks.com>http://www.techbooks.com

david.rickard@techbooks.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040