httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxy Server to Web Server Ratio
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:57:20 GMT
Ian Stuart wrote:
> Doesn't the proxy do a write-to-disk as the page passes through?
> Particularly with proxy-pass and proxy-passreverse?

Well, if you're using disc-based cacheing (with mod_cache) then yes.
But the proxy as such doesn't (why should it?)

> This would imply that there is a process load on the server (limiting
> the number of simultanious connections - but not an httpd/proxy limit
> per-sae) *as well as* a disk-limit (for the I/O)

The purpose of cacheing is to avoid the overhead of repeatedly fetching
the same document from a backend.

In a reverse proxy, backends can be further optimised using connection
pooling with HTTP keepalive.

--
Nick Kew