httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stuart <Ian.Stu...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxy Server to Web Server Ratio
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:56:36 GMT
Doesn't the proxy do a write-to-disk as the page passes through?
Particularly with proxy-pass and proxy-passreverse?

This would imply that there is a process load on the server (limiting
the number of simultanious connections - but not an httpd/proxy limit
per-sae) *as well as* a disk-limit (for the I/O)

Having said that, we have a proxy server that farms dynamic web pages
*and* proxies for a couple of dozen remote servers (defined within
multiple vhost sections <grin /> )

Boyle Owen wrote:
> [...]
proxy is defined in the config rules for the given request...

> Reading between the lines, I suspect you are harbouring a misconception about how HTTP
operates. It is not a connection-based protocol - it is connectionless and stateless. So your
question is not like "how many phone calls can a switchboard handle?", it is more like "how
many addresses can the post office deliver to?"

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/