httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Joines <supp...@bus.okstate.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_proxy performance tips needed
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:35:36 GMT
    I'm attempting to use mod_proxy under Apache 2.0.52 with the prefork
MPM on SuSE Linux 8.1 to reverse proxy connections to the File Manager
module of a Usermin 1.140 server running on SuSE Linux 9.2.  The Apache
server and the Usermin server are both using SSL.

    The Apache server is a PIII 1 GHz with 1 GB of RAM.  Both servers
and various test clients are all plugged into the same ethernet switch.
I'm using various copies of a 128 MB file on the Usermin server to check
speeds.  If I download the file to either the client or the Apache
server from the Usermin server directly, the average speed always
exceeds 6 MB/s.  However, downloading to the client via the proxy on the
Apache server with these settings in my SSL VirtualHost section drops
the speed to 0.023 MB/s:

SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyRequests Off
  <Proxy *>
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
  </Proxy>
ProxyPass /ourfiles https://userminserver:20000
ProxyPassReverse /ourfiles https://userminserver:20000

    I tried adding "ProxyReceiveBufferSize 2048" and the speed increased
to 0.048 MB/s.  ProxyRecieveBufferSize values of 4096, 8192 and 16384
yielded respective speeds of 0.049 MB/s, 0.053 MB/s and 0.24 MB/s.

    In each case, the download starts just as fast as the direct
connections.  The first 10 MB or so are almost instantaneous.  However,
the speed steadily declines.  In each case other than
"ProxyReceiveBufferSize 16384", I killed the download off at about 70 MB
as it had ground nearly to a halt.

    I guess I can keep keep bumping the ProxyReceiveBufferSize up but
I'm concerned  about what other impacts this might have on the Apache
server as performing this proxy is not it's only task in life.  Any
suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Joines