httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Granvin" <Robert.Gran...@metrostate.edu>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] "cannot assign requested address" error on boot, but not onmanual start...?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:15:21 GMT
Basically, this is exactly where it is started.  In fact, it's the last item started in runlevel
3.

Other network services (examples: tomcat) are started prior and available (and we've also
gone the route of shutting down everything that might conflict at boot time, with no change).

If we run the steps manually once the server is up, it all works fine, of course.  So it's
only Apache failing to start at that point.  It's odd.

\\ Robert J. Granvin                                             Webmaster
 \\ robert.granvin@metrostate.edu                       Metro State University

>>> Owen.Boyle@swx.com 06/02/05 10:47 AM >>>

When do you start it? Apache should start at least in run level 3 and pretty late on (eg S90apache).
It might be you are starting it before TCP/IP.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> During boot, we receive the following errors (only the IP
> address has been changed in the example)
>
>    apache: starting
>    (99)Cannot assign requested address: make_sock: could not
> bind to address 12.34.56.78:80
>    no listening sockets available, shutting down
>    Unable to open logs
>    Done!
>

> ALL other services (Coldfusion, tomcat, etc.) start up
> successfully during boot, which all reside in the same disk
> tree as well.
>
> When the startup script is run immediately after boot, it works great:
>
>    apache: starting
>    Done!
>

> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for us?  Having to
> manually restart after a reboot is really kindof a pain.  :-)
>

> \\ Robert J. Granvin
>    Webmaster
>  \\ robert.granvin@metrostate.edu                       Metro
> State University