httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Limit Traffic for specific files
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:55:20 GMT
On 6/8/05, Florian Lindner <mailinglists@xgm.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> how can I limit the traffic which certain files generate in a certain time.
> For example: I don't want downloading of the file xyz.iso to generate more
> traffic that 10 GB per month?
> I'm using Apache 2.

There is no easy way to do this.  There are several modules available
that will do connection limitting and perhaps bandwidth limitting over
short intervals.  (see http://modules.apache.org/) But for long
intervals like a month, I think your best bet is to use the
access_log.  You can pipe your logfiles through a program that keeps
track of downloads and automatically modifies an .htaccess file when
they reach a certain limit.  You should probably use mod_logio, which
provides more accurate bandwidth tracking.

Joshua.