httpd-users mailing list archives

From PMilan...@nypl.org
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Remote Logging access_log with syslog-ng
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:50:53 GMT
You can pipe vhosts to their own logs. There is no way that I know of to
put this in the main config though (i.e. servername as a variable), so you
need to create CustomLog entries for each vhost, putting the servername as
an argument (or in the filename).

  _____

From: Jan van den Berg [mailto:janvdberg@solcon.nl]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:53 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Remote Logging access_log with syslog-ng

Hi,

(please ignore my last post)

Right now I have a syslog-ng server that logs all access_log files from
different virtual hosts in one big file.

But Im looking for a way to log accesslogs to  virtualhostname.log files
instead of one big file.

My setup:

CustomLog "| /usr/bin/logger -p local7.info" combined

This opens one Logger thread under the Apache main thread and puts all the
logger information in one big file.

The following setup does what I want; but this opens a bash thread under
Apache.. not something you want.

LogFormat "logger -t %v %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined2

CustomLog "|/bin/bash" combined2

With the following in syslog-ng.conf:

destination localhost_site_access{ file("/var/log/apache/$PROGRAM"); };

This works in a sense that it puts the different VirtualHost logs in logs
with their name. This is what I want but I don't want to use the 'bash'
solution.

Maybe it's possible to hack /usr/bin/logger: I need a way to specify a
$PROGRAM name in syslog-NG. Or is their another solution?

Any tips?

Regards,

Jan