httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] converting to SSL
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:03:52 GMT

As far as apache is concerned, the SSL site is just another VH that happens to work on port
443 instead of 80. So having the same content as the port 80 VH is no problem.

I'm a little puzzled as to why you might want to do this... To be clear: SSL encrypts the
pipe betwee the client and the server - it doesn't make the server more or less secure. Its
usual application is to protect confidential information while it is in transit over the public
internet. For example, when a client uploads the contents of a form submission or when the
server delivers personal information to the client. There's not much point SSLising a public
website...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Is this as simple as it appears or are there gotchas lurking in the
> works that I am overlooking?
>
> Thanks!
>
> hugh
>
> --
>  Hugh Williams                  "There are two things to aim
> for in life;
>  hugh_williams@agilent.com       first, to get what you want;
> and after that,
>  Agilent Technologies            to enjoy it.  Only the
> wisest of mankind
>  Santa Rosa 2US-C                achieve the second."
>  707.577.4941                         - Logan Pearsall Smith, 1931

the sender's company.