httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] authentication and mod_proxy
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:57:30 GMT

You want basic auth on the back-end too?

This is eerily similar to another post that came up today (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=111774805609033&w=2)...

So it looks like that the Basic Authorization header which contains the credentials is not
forwarded to the back-end under mod_proxy. I had a quick look at the docs but there doesn't
seem to be ProxyPreserveBasicAuthorization directive (cf. ProxyPreserveHost) so it might not
be possible. I also looked at RequestHeader which can be used to set a header on an incoming
request before it's fully processed - I don't think that would help you either...

Other ideas:

- there's a way to send the credentials in the URL. You do: http://user:password@server/resource
so you could use mod_rewrite to build the creds into the back-end request from the header
data.
- do you really need authentication on the back-end route? Is it an internet route (as opposed
to a LAN)?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Example config on proxy server:
>
> <Directory proxy:https://somesite>
>   SSLOptions +StdEnvVars +CompatEnvVars
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow from all
>   AuthName "Site Access"
>   AuthType Basic
>   AuthPAM_Enabled ON
>   require user foo
> </Directory>
>
> I authenticate as "foo" but the proxied server does not
> receive the id.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert

the sender's company.