httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Problems on Linux
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:37:26 GMT

Yet you managed to find time to mail the list...

It takes an hour to read the docs but days to wait for responses and then try them out. Find
the time to read the docs.

> Oh, what if I want all the modules? It's a lot to ask
> for, but I hate re-compiling it every time I want to
> use a feature.

If you compile in mod_so, you can then load any new modules later. You can compile them separately
and load them anytime to a running server (just needs a graceful). See http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dso.html
for details.

> Anyways, I re-compiled Apache, this time following the
> instructions in the documentation. It works,
> especially my proxy server.
>
> I want to make my proxy server public, so that
> everybody could use it. Is that a good idea or a bad
> idea? :)

Er.... you want anyone in the world to be able to ask your server to fetch a page for them?
It's mighty neighbourly of you but I would warn you that it is very dangerous. Bad guys can
use open proxies to launch denial-of-server attacks against their targets (they fan out the
requests to all the proxies then the target gets many simultaneous requests). If that doesn't
worry you, what if some guy goes via your proxy to access illegal content? If the police bust
the server, it's your IP they'll find in the logs...

A proxy is meant to be used when you have an internal LAN. Your webserver acts as a proxy
for any machines inside the LAN so they don't need a direct internet connection. See http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#access
for details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle