httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Heitmann, Herwarth" <herwarth.heitm...@orangemail.nl>
Subject [users@httpd] apache 2.0 as reverse proxy using mod_rewrite
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:23:58 GMT
hello,

i have some difficulties using apache webserver as a reverse proxy. i am
sure it has to do something with url rewriting.

the situation is as follows.

- at our company we have some external ip address accessible via the
internet. these ip addresses has to be assigned to the external ethernet
card of the apache machine. we want to terminate ssl connections on the
reverse proxy so we are using ip based virtual hosting  which works
great.
- on the second ethernet card we have a connection to the actual
websites.

internet
multiple ip's -------------reverse proxy---------------multiple websites

we have a complex application running on the reverse proxy and it does
authentication to another website using the same reverse proxy

https://webserver ------------ reverse proxy ----------
http://webserver-internal (application redirects to
https://login/?return=https://webserver)
https://login ------------------- reverse proxy -----------
http://login-internal (application does authentication)
https://webserver ------------ reverse proxy ----------
http://webserver-internal

httpd conf for virtual host:

Listen ip-address:443

<VirtualHost ip-address:443>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@webserver
    ServerName webserver
    ProxyPass / http://webserver-internal/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://ip-address-internal/
    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/webserver.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/webserver.key
    ErrorLog logs/error_log_webserver
    TransferLog logs/access_log_webserver

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/$ https://webserverl/$1 [R,L]

</VirtualHost>

it is strange because i get a http 302 return in the browser and does
not continue.... it reaches webserver-internal with statement found 302
and then it stops.... it terminates ssl as expected...

what am i doing wrong?

greetings,

herwarth

De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is alleen bestemd voor de
geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te
gebruiken en de afzender direct te informeren door het bericht te retourneren. Hoewel Orange
maatregelen heeft genomen om virussen in deze email of attachments te voorkomen, dient u ook
zelf na te gaan of virussen aanwezig zijn aangezien Orange niet aansprakelijk is voor computervirussen
die veroorzaakt zijn door deze email.

The information contained in this message may be confidential and is intended to be only for
the addressee. Should you receive this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents
herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. Although Orange has taken steps
to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, you do need to verify the
possibility of their existence as Orange can take no responsibility for any computer virus
which might be transferred by way of this email.