httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dan Trainor <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Networking problem?
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:43:30 GMT
Joseph Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run Apache web server on my Redhat
> Linux machine. I just installed and configured Apache
> httpd-2.0.54, and entered "http://localhost" on my
> browser (Mozilla). I was able to see "If you can see
> this, it means the installation ... was successful."
>
> However, when I went to another machine (a PC), and
> entered http://(myhostname)/example.html, I could not
> display the file on the PC. It just kept
> processing....
>
> I have modified /etc/xinetd.conf to include "service
> http", and modified /etc/hosts.allow to add "http
> myPCIPaddress", but it did not help.
>
> I think it's networking problem, but I don't know what
> else to do. (I can ping from PC to Linux).
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

(yourhostname) does not exist in DNS, apparently.  If he's on a Windows
machine, he needs to edit lmhosts and "fake" it.  If he's in Linux, you
can modify /etc/hosts and designate that shorthand hostname to an IP,
which would work.

Either that, or modify an existing local DNS server, if you're really
serious about it ;)

Thanks
-dant