httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aman Raheja <arah...@techquotes.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Compression and Security
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:07:35 GMT
It is indeed possible to compress images, and if you specify apache to
do so, it will.

The issue is that some browsers like some of the Netscape versions have
had history of having problems with HTTP/1.1 with compressed images. So
you  would more likely fend off a percentage of users. there might be
other browsers with same issue that I am not aware of.
Moreover even if you compress an image, you won't gain much, as I tried
to zip a 20.7Kb jpg and got a 20.3Kb file and a 202 Kb gif to a 202 Kb
zip file.

As far as security, what version of apache are you using? Get the most
recent one in the 1.3.x or 2.0.x and you will be alright. Choose the
modules carefully and only Load the ones you need, besides the fact that
there is a doc on apache's site about security that can guide you more
on securing apache. Get back here if you have any more questions.
HTH

Regards
Aman Raheja
http://www.techquotes.com