httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Compression and Security
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:41:38 GMT
Arthur Guy wrote:
> Does gzip compression and browser decompression support images or is it just
> html and text?

Irrelevant.  Web image formats are already compressed.  You should also
avoid compressing some other formats (such as PDF) or a certain
crippled browser will refuse to display them.

> Is the name mod_security correct, searching for it in the documentation
> doesn't return anything?

It's a third-party module.  But it's not really required for Apache
in the sense of IIS.  We don't have a long history of devastating bugs
like CodeRed and Nimda (despite having three times MS's market share).
mod_security protects vulnerable applications rather than the server
itself.

--
Nick Kew