httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Seaton <ch...@chrisseaton.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_rewrite not applied to default files?
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:39:30 GMT
Hi,

I'm using mod_rewrite to send .html files as application/xhtml+xml for
agents that say they accept it, and text/html for all others, using
mod_rewrite.

At the moment I simply have a .htaccess file with

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}     \.html$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_ACCEPT}          application/xhtml\+xml
RewriteRule .* - [T=application/xhtml+xml]

This works fine on, for example,
http://chrisseaton.skylis.net/index.html, but it does not work on, for
example, http://chrisseaton.skylis.net/. mod_rewrite doesn't seem to be
applied when serving a default file for a directory.

I tested this by modifying my .htaccess to read

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule .* - [T=application/xhtml+xml]

With this every file should be served as application/xhtml+xml, and they
all were, apart from the default file for the directory - which still
went out as the .html default of text/html.

I'm using Mozilla HTTP live headers to check the MIME type returned by
the server.

Can anyone help? Thanks a lot.

Chris Seaton