httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Traver <tt-l...@simplenet.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Not Logging Proxy Requests
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:17:38 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On 6/17/05, Tim Traver <tt-list@simplenet.com> wrote:
>

>>CustomLog /local/logs/apache/access combined env=!dontlog
>>
>>SetEnvIf Proxy_Addr "209\.132\.98\.35" dontlog
>>
>>I have tested the following line, and it works :
>>
>>SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "209\.132\.98\.35" dontlog
>>
>>But I don't want to refuse logging of everything that is coming from
>>that host, just the proxy requests.
>>
>>I have looked and verified that "PROXY_ADDR" is set when a proxy request
>>is coming in, but for some reason the SetEnvIf is not working based on
>>that header...
>>

>Are you saying that PROXY_ADDR is an HTTP request header coming from the proxy?
>
>I doubt that.  Underscores are not often seen in HTTP request headers.
> (But note that dashes are converted to underscores when a header is
>converted to an env variable in mod_cgi, which may be confusing you. )
>Perhaps the header is Proxy-Addr.
>
>Joshua.

Joshua,

actually, PROXY_ADDR is an environment variable that is created by
mod_extract_forwarded...

But, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR is a header that is sent with the request from
the proxy machine to the destination. I have also tried to use this
variable, but to no avail...

On your recommendation I tried HTTP-X-FORWARDED-FOR, but that doesn't
work either.

If what you said is true (that the headers have dashes instead of
underscores, then how is it that SetEnvIf works using Remote_Addr ???

Ultimately, the question becomes, how do I not log a proxy request ?

Thanks,

Tim.