httpd-users mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_deflate w/reverse proxy
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:53:32 GMT
I'm having trouble using mod_deflate to compress content that is going
through my reverse proxy using apache 2.0.46.  All requests go to a
default virtual host, and then I use RewriteConf/RewriteRule [P] to
carve off certain hostnames to reverse proxy to another webserver.  We
use this approach for testing, so normally everyone sees the regular set
of files, but before deploying I can setup special hostnames to see a
newer site version.

Configuration looks like this...

UseCanonicalName Off
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

<VirtualHost *>
   DocumentRoot /foobar
   ServerName www.lokitech.com

   ProxyRequests Off
   <Proxy *>
     Order deny,allow
     Allow from all
   </Proxy>

   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} \.lokitech\.com [NC,OR]
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^lokitech\.com [NC]
   RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8082/$1 [P]
   ProxyPreserveHost On
</VirtualHost>

Let's say I'm hosting www.lokitech.com and www.prestosports.com on this
server.  With this setup, a request for an HTML URL on
www.prestosports.com will get compressed, but a request for an HTML URL
on www.lokitech.com will not get compressed.

I've done extensive google searching and saw there was something about
how mod_deflate and mod_proxy are not compatible, but it wasn't clear if
this is outdated or if there is a workaround.

Beyond instantly telling me how to fix this, I'm mainly hoping for
suggestions to diagnose why the filter would not get applied to the
proxy requests.  Thanks in advance.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501