httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Carville <step...@nationwide-totalflood.com>
Subject [users@httpd] POSTing to non-executable file
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:00:33 GMT
Is there a good way for a client program to check for the existance of a
file on a remote server before attempting a download?  Kind of an http
version of the ls command.

We have a software program that checks for the existance of a file by
doing an empty POST to the URL.  This works with apache 2.0.52 but fails
on 1.3.20 with an error 405:

The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /pdf/temp/16557996.pdf.

Whatever technique I use has to work on both 1.3 and 2.0 so I'd like to
know if there is a better way.

--
Stephen Carville