httpd-users mailing list archives

From dan <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Speed up pix display
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:33:51 GMT
Garth Armorer wrote:
> Hi,
> What can be done to speed up display of pictures? They're all in jpeg format
> and it would be a giant task to convert all of them to .gif.
> Thanks,
> Garth
>
> --
> "Tomorrow is assumed by all of us,
>   But promised to none of us"
> Garth

I had a customer who has a 6 columb by 244 row matrix of images, and it
takes qutie a while for the page to completely render.  The reason for
this is almost entirely client-side, because it does take a long time to
actually render the page.

Apache has ltitle to do with this, unless you'd like to use mod_gzip to
compress all the HTML table data, but that might slow things down
further on the client side because the client would have to then
decompress the data.

Hope that helps
-dant