httpd-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Donker <l...@webpagina.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems on Linux
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:30:27 GMT
john.j.hudak@comcast.net wrote:

>Hello All:
>
>Just a comment on what is written below.  I've noticed what seems to be a high number
of these types of answers (e.g. its in the docs *READ* them!)...Which makes me wonder why
ppl don't?  I participate in a number of NG and this one seems to have more of its share of:"I
just turned on Apache and it does not work - help."  I am curious as to why this is happening.
 I could understand if one had to go to the library and look for books on the the subject,
but in this day of instant information and the huge amount of documentation on the net in
various forms, why don't ppl take the time to look for it? (lazy???) Perhaps its the view
of the world that its easy to set up, config, and run Apache and/or Linux? (isn't  installing
Apache just like installing Word??? lol).
>I am developing a tendancy to ignore posts from ppl who ask for help without giving some
indication of having tried to solve it themselves.  After all, taking the time to read and
respond to these takes time, and why should their time be more valuable than ours?
>Just wondering....
>John

Exactly! People dont have the time to read the docs, but do have time to
subscribe to and write messages to the list asking for solutions and
wait for them. Where does that time come from then? I often try to do
the usual googling and archive searching first before asking the list.
Many times it happens that while I am 'waiting' for an answer I find the
solution myself because in the mean time I, ofcourse, continue fiddling
with the problem myself. I also inform lists that I have found the
solution already and how I did it. That way one can inform people who
are looking into the problem as well, that no further action is needed.
Another benefit of posting the solution to the list is that doing so  it
is added to the archive. Next time someone has a similar problem, and
also has the time, he/she can look it up in the archive.
-Patrick