httpd-users mailing list archives

From dan <i...@hostinthebox.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problems on Linux
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:44:59 GMT
Broming plutonium wrote:
> I'm using Xandros Open Circulation 3. I don't think
> you know what it is, so I decided to just call it
> "Linux".
>
> God I'm so stupid--I didn't even enable the features!
> And I deleted my source directory, too. Too bad I
> don't have time to read the documentation--I can
> hardly find time to do what I have to do.
>
> Oh, what if I want all the modules? It's a lot to ask
> for, but I hate re-compiling it every time I want to
> use a feature.
>
> Anyways, I re-compiled Apache, this time following the
> instructions in the documentation. It works,
> especially my proxy server.
>
> I want to make my proxy server public, so that
> everybody could use it. Is that a good idea or a bad
> idea? :)

Broming -

Depends on how you look at it.  But quite honestly, are you prepared to
administer a full-blow proxy server?  It seemed a bit difficult to get
all this up and running, and now you want to offer services?

Everyone has time to read documentation.  Your initial question came
through on May 31st, and in three days, you could have read the Apache
2.0 manual nine times over and remembered every last word.  It's what we
all do, and when using "Linux", the documentation almost always spells
it out for us ;)

You can use the compile-time option of --enable-module=all, IIRC, to
compile all the modules.  This is probably not what you want to do.
Rather, you can use ./configure --help, which will print out a list of
modules that are currently available, which ones will be compiled in by
default, and a list of which modules you can compile in addition to the
defaults - or none of them period.  You can also visit
http://modules.apache.org for a complete list of known and submitted
third-party modules.  I find this resource quite useful.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll always keep my complete source
trees for a good 2-3 versions - just in case.  Others might call this
behavior a bit of OCD, but then again, they're the same people who write
to the list asking what do you do if the source tree is deleted ;)

Hope that helps
-dant