httpd-users mailing list archives

From Arne Heizmann <Arne.Heizm...@csr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Russian Charset Problem
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:10:37 GMT
André Malo wrote:

> I can tell you the reasons for using koi8-r, euc-jp etc instead of utf-8
> for the httpd docs. The resulting documents are significant smaller.

ru:        15169 => 20713
ru+gzip:    5454 =>  6160

ja:        14063 => 16595
ja+gzip:    4833 =>  5237

Hardly "significantly smaller".

Especially considering that you are limiting yourself to a very small
set of characters. As a result, you have to put the ugly hacky "ru" and
"ja" on the pages rather than the proper "Русский" and "日本語" which
users are more likely to recognise. Yes, I know you can use numerical
entities in HTML to achieve this nonetheless, but the more you use
those, the less of a "benefit" your legacy encoding becomes.

Timwi

the system manager.