httpd-users mailing list archives

From N Lamb <ndl...@engleonline.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Quick Directory Question...
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:52:13 GMT
I guess the info I am holding back on is the fact that I have been
trying to figure out why turning off the "Performance Cache" broke the
redirect for about 6 weeks (not constant work...  :)  ) I have tried
different other config fixes with no success and then while looking at
the config file yesterday this directory command jumped out at me and I
thought that it was too easy of a fix...  (but the logic made sense to
me)

The other piece of info is that I am VERY new to Apache and somewhat
gunshy...

So I figured I would post it here to get a confirmation of my
understanding of what is going on...

Is there a good reference book you could recommend for me to buy that
would help me learn and understand Apache (1.3) for Mac?
Ideally a book with the basics, but would also be suitable as a
reference (if not one book maybe two...)

One final question...  Do I need that directory line at all to protect
the root structure?  And is there a security risk with just changing it
to read as follows?

<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents">
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from All
</Directory>

Thanks in advance and sorry of the elementary level of my questions...

Nathan Lamb