httpd-users mailing list archives

From dtufs <dt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to close connection instead of sending 403?
Date Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:05:45 GMT
> Once it you know this, you can configure it to
> prevent further communication with the client
> (not actually killing the  connection, but the
> affect will be the same - the client will give up).

Unfortunately, the "client" will not give up. The
result will be that our (very expensive) bandwidth
will be wasted on sending 403 responses (that's about
300 bytes per request).

Imagine a bot requesting a page twice per second. And
then imagine thousands of such bots, which ignore your
DDoS bots, etc. Something must be done.

Yahoo! Mail