httpd-users mailing list archives

From André Malo ...@perlig.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Russian Charset Problem
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:43:41 GMT
* Arne Heizmann <Arne.Heizmann@csr.com> wrote:

> > I can tell you the reasons for using koi8-r, euc-jp etc instead of utf-8
> > for the httpd docs. The resulting documents are significant smaller.
>
> ru:        15169 => 20713
> ru+gzip:    5454 =>  6160
>
> ja:        14063 => 16595
> ja+gzip:    4833 =>  5237

Uhm, what do these numbers refer to?

> Especially considering that you are limiting yourself to a very small
> set of characters. As a result, you have to put the ugly hacky "ru" and
> "ja" on the pages rather than the proper "Русский" and "日本語"
which
> users are more likely to recognise.

Nope, the iso-tokens are chosen as linktext on purpose. The native language
names are in the title (or should be there at least, depends on the translator,
however).

[note that my mail client here can't recognize utf-8 properly, I'm leaving it
as is ...]

> Yes, I know you can use numerical
> entities in HTML to achieve this nonetheless, but the more you use
> those, the less of a "benefit" your legacy encoding becomes.

As a matter of fact, numeric character references are rare within the httpd docs.

nd