httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Denis Gerasimov" <denis.gerasi...@vekos.ru>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Russian Charset Problem
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:51:46 GMT

> Veysel Harun Sahin wrote:
> >
> > I want to use russian charset
>
> Why are people still creating new websites with these obsolete character
> sets? Why not just use UTF-8? It's been around for long enough...

Okay, I also think that is a good idea (especially for multi-language
sites), but I think there are many old browsers that don't support UTF-8
documents... Does anyone have info/experience on this issue?

BTW I don't believe that UTF-8 page is *significant* larger - most of the
characters (e.g. HTML code) are still represented with one byte.

And what's about images? HTML document usually contains many images and I
suppose that impact on the traffic won't be so serious.

Please, let me know if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Denis Gerasimov,
Chief Developer, VEKOS Ltd.