httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Thom Park" <Thom.P...@borland.com>
Subject [users@httpd] module 'shutdown' problem.
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:44:07 GMT

Hello,

I have a pressing issue with modules and shutdown that I need some
expert enlightenment on. Perhaps someone can  chip in a suggestion on
how I can solve this problem.

First up - I'm using a process-pool clean-up handler to shutdown some
iiop connections being used by my module. This all works swimmingly well
on all platforms except HP.

I have read, elsewhere
(http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=apache-httpd-dev&a=2004-03&t=87076) that
dynamic modules get unloaded prior to the process pool cleanup routines
being called. If this is the case, then I have a serious problem, as
unloading the dynamic module will undermine my ability to run my
shutdown code.

What I need is  a 'real' shutdown hook that can be called prior to the
module being unloaded - that way I can guarantee that all my code that
needs to be there, will still be there.

Now, to my mind, this 'unloading the module prior to calling the
process-pool handlers' does not seem to make sense, but the symptoms I'm
seeing on my HP port of my module exactly match this scenario: A C++
destructor is references (it's an empty implementation) and the
reference coredumps. The reference does nothing and should not be null,
but it is - this is what I'd expect if someone unloaded the dependent
shared library prior to me calling the destructor.

If this is truly the case - where can I put my cleanup routines such
that they will work?

-Thom