httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to make apache to fix the url in the browser?
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 17:19:58 GMT
On 5/20/05, Brian Hughes '89 <brianvh@alum.dartmouth.org> wrote:
> What it sounds like you want to do is wrap the entry page to the
> egroupware site in a Frameset that has 2 frame rows: 1 that is 100% the
> height of the window and the second that is * (which is really 0
> height)

Yes, this is the usual way of doing this.  But note that by doing
this, you destroy some very useful attributes of the URL.  For
example, users will no longer be able to bookmark links to specific
messages or places in your forum, and they will no longer be able to
grab a link to a particular post and include it in another post or
email to a friend.

If all the content is private (as it is in gmail), then you may not
care.  But otherwise, I would highly recommend against this or any
other technique of keeping a static URL.  If you simply want a
nicer-looking URL, then that is easily accomplished with AliasMatch or
mod_rewrite.

Joshua.