httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [users@httpd] dynamic virtual hosts
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 16:49:10 GMT
On 5/2/05, James Nicolson <jlnicolson@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/mass.html
>
> I've read that many times.... I cant even get the
> simple configuration such as beneath working
>
> VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/%0/htdocs
> VirtualScriptAlias /var/www/%0/cgi-bin
>
> so why does that not work??? my traditional vhost
> setup is as follows and that works fine.... why not
> the above? yet it will do whats below:

You need to look in the error log to see what that problem is.

> I was wondering if there was a way to do it without
> symbolic links

You could perhaps create two name-based <VirtualHost> sections, one
with a "ServerAlias www.*" that has directives to catch that case, and
the other, listed first, that would catch the non-www case.  But the
symlinks are simpler, and would recommend sticking with that.

> > This Rewrite stuff is unimportant and is only needed
> > if you want to
> > satisfy the whims of your vulnerability tester.
> >

> but if I dont have it I get a forbidden access
> message???

That doesn't seem very likely.  Are you absolutely sure?  These rules
have nothing to do with ordinary request serving.

Joshua.