httpd-users mailing list archives

From Maxim Vexler <hq4e...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] log rotation for apache 2.0.54 on w2k3 server ?
Date Sat, 21 May 2005 15:36:32 GMT
On 5/21/05, Ian Huynh <ianh@hubspan.com> wrote:
> would pipe logging help you then?

No. Piping is also a *nix only feature (as far as I know).
To enforce my claim here is the quotation from the same log manual page :

Section : Error Log

"On unix systems it is also possible to have the server send errors to
syslog or pipe them to a program."

> the documentation for pipe logging is just below the rotation section
[snip]
> As with conditional logging, piped logs are a very powerful tool, but they should not
be used where a simpler solution like off-line post-processing is available.

Now this is more interesting.
What does "off-line post-processing" stands for ? (Just don't tell me
what I think it says - to stop the server).

Thank you.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).