httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] [Win32 Installation] Apache 2.0.54 HTTP-server
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 10:55:51 GMT

This is a fundamental feature of the Windows OS paradigm. It regards the unique attribute
of any application as the application name. Therefore, for any given application name you
can have a maximum of one installation. The advantage of this is that it is easy to upgrade
- the installer for the new version sees that there is already an application registered with
its name and so removes it first before installing itself in its place.

The disadvantage, as you are discovering, is that it is impossible to have two versions of
the same application (btw, this is true for *any* application - try installing two versions
of WMP or IE or Netscape or whatever).

The Unix paradigm is that different versions of programs are just different files - they don't
do anything until they are executed so you can have as many versions as you like, so long
as they have different filepaths. The disadvantage of this approach is that you have to think
when you're upgrading - you need to remove the old version manually or remember to divert
paths or symlinks to point to the new version.

You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> The Windows Installer had
> this to say about it:
>
> "
> Another version of this product is already installed.
> Installation of this version cannot continue. To
> configure or remove the existing version of this product,
> use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.
>
> [OK]
> "
>
> Note that these are *different* versions.
>
> This limitation effectively prevents me from having multiple
> versions of Apache installed on the same system, which further
> makes testing an impossibility.
>
> Is this an issue with the MSI package, perhaps?
> --
> Regards,
> Raymond.
>
> --