httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache 1.3x Secure Server
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 08:44:14 GMT

To add a point to the discussion: You have to ask yourself what the passphrase is actually
for: it is not to secure the *server*, rather it is to secure the *certificate*...

Imagine someone copies your certificate file onto a floppy and sneaks it out the door. Then
they masquerade your site and try to load your certificate into the server. With no passphrase,
the fake site is indistinguishable from the real one. But with a passphrase, the hacker can't
get the server to start so cannot masquerade your site.

Personally, I don't believe a passphrase is necessary: If you run an SSL server, then that
implies you are handling confidential information. You therefore have a moral obligation to
keep the system secure. If your system is so insecure that you are worried about people stealing
your certificate, then you shouldn't be running an SSL server. In any case, the certificate
(specifically, the .key file), should be in a separate directory which is owned by root and
which can be accessed only by root, ie:

drwx------   2 root     other   512 May 14  2001 ssl_key_dir

(NB - the certificate is loaded into apache during the start-up when the user is still root,
before the apache user inherits the daemons).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> It's
> just that I've got an awful memory, occasional power outages, and a
> e-commerce program that relies on the secure server running to work.
>
> Bob

the sender's company.