httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-St├ęphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] problem when using mod_deflate and zip files and IE6
Date Fri, 13 May 2005 08:04:06 GMT
Does Apache seem to be compressing the file i.e. is Content-Encoding: gzip ? If it is not,
which I suspect, mod_deflate did not compress the file. Judging from your configuration, there
is no reason to believe that your zip files are treated any differently than pdf files.

What about the deflate log? Does that contain any indication of zip files being compressed
whereas pdf files are not?

Did you try to unload or otherwise de-activate mod_deflate to see if that makes any difference?

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: robert rottermann [mailto:robert@redcor.ch]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:42 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] problem when using mod_deflate and zip files and IE6

Hi there,

When I use the following combination:

Apache 2.049
Linux (SuSe 9.1)
mod_deflate

and a zip file is served to a IE6 client, the file can not be used
anymore. (I get an error by win zip claiming that it is not a valid zip
archive)

I tried to suppress that mod_deflate by the following rule. This did
help with *.pdf files (which had the same problem), but not zip files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
 DeflateCompressionLevel 3

 DeflateFilterNote Input instream
 DeflateFilterNote Output outstream
 DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio

 LogFormat '"%r" %{outstream}n/%{instream}n (%{ratio}n%%)' deflate

 # Netscape 4.x has some problems...
 BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

 # Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
 BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

 # MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
 #BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

 # NOTE: Due to a bug in mod_setenvif up to Apache 2.0.48
 # the above regex won't work. You can use the following
 # workaround to get the desired effect:
 BrowserMatch \bMSI[E] !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

 # Don't compress images, java scripts and style sheets
 #_robert_ pdf, gz hinzugeuegt
 SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
   \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|js|css|pdf|gz|zip)$ no-gzip dont-vary

 # Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
 # this needs mod_headers but it's very important
 # so I don't add a IfModule around it
 Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

</IfModule>