httpd-users mailing list archives

From Abu Hurayrah <abu_huray...@almaghrib.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] server name and site name, download problem
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 18:35:22 GMT
Karim Hamed-abdelouahab wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm a new user of apache http server. The version of the http server
>is 1.3.33 running on fedoracore 3.0 running with mod_ssl (DSO)
>
>1. I want to set the name of the site like www.foo.fr, the domaine foo
>is registred yet.
>    Therefor I put the ServerName www.foo.fr in the virtualHost tag.
>    like :
>   <VirtualHost 214.244.54.34:443>
>
>  #  General setup for the virtual host
>  DocumentRoot "/var/www/foo_rep/web/"
>  ServerName www.foo.fr
>  But I couldn't to get the web page with www.foo.fr only with the ip
>adresse of the machine.
>
>2. I can't upload document more than one MB.
>   Here is the config file of the apache.
>
>#
># Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
>#
>Timeout 300
>
>#
># KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
># one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
>#
>KeepAlive On
>
>#
># MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
># during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
># We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
>#
>MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
>
>#
># KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
># same client on the same connection.
>#
>KeepAliveTimeout 600
>

>Can someone help me.
>Thank you.
>Karim.

Assalaamu`alaykum

Well, for starters, if a domain name is not pointing to the IP address
of a particular server, it'll never resolve to that server, regardless
of your Apache configuration.  This is all handled through DNS, and has
nothing to do with Apache.  The VirtualHost directive in Apache simply
serves to allow multiple "virtual" hosts to exist on one machine, and
therefore will point the requests for each host to the appropriate place
on the server - this only happens AFTER the request arrives knocking at
your IP address, however.

As for your second problem, through what exactly are you uploading?  For
example, is it ASP, PHP, Perl, or some other scripting language?  The
quick way to find out is to look at the extension of the page to which
you're uploading.  Apache itself, as far as I know, doesn't support
uploading directly except through WebDAV.

Let me know if you need anymore help.