httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Spike Burkhardt" <burkhardt.rich...@ssd.loral.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] (24)Too many open files:
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 16:44:16 GMT
Oliver,

  A total guess is that there are too many files open!   lol.  Sorry,
had to do it.  On Solaris, the number of files open at any one time is
based on system and process limits.  Even though it's old a good
reference article is
http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/swol-02-1998/swol-02-insidesolaris.html.

Briefly, to find out what the per-processes open file limit is:  ulimit
-a (Korn & Bourne shells); limit -a for Csh.

The limit of open files on Solaris is limited only by the amount of
memory available to the kernel.  It is dynamically allocated.  To find
out the size of the table, use sar -v 1.

I've actually never run into this problem.  I have run into availability
of inodes but that's a different subject.

HTH

Spike