httpd-users mailing list archives

From Marian Marinov <hack...@hydra.azilian.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Mass Virtual Hosting
Date Fri, 20 May 2005 16:09:49 GMT
Because no one have mentioned this. I will :)

If you plan to use centralized hosting as I presume, you really need to
thing about GFS... it is significantly better then AFS & NFS.

About the configurations... most of the daemons(FTP,DNS,MTA) support DB
backends. This improves the configurations greatly.

About the logs... on many mass hostings apache is logging on to one log
file which is fifo pipe to a Perl or C/C++ program which is sorting the
logs... In my experience the C programs where very good to handle big loads.

The administration... I really don't thing that CPanel,Plesk,Webmin or
Confixx can handle such a load. You will need to write the admin panel
your self. If you use SQL as a backends to your daemons... this will
help you do this part easier.

You will have one bigger issue in all this...SECURITY!

How will you will configure your apache is the biggest problem.
I have configured my Apaches in chrooted envoirment and prepatched the
kernels with either RSBAC or SELinux support to handle most of the
security problems. But about apache it is a very good idea to have it
with patched suexec wrapper that matches your needs.

User issues:
	All users have to have backup as option. You will need to thing about
hourly,daily,weekly & monthly backups. You will need a separate
backup/storage system with enough space to handle such a load.

Regards
	M.Marinov